GlamGlow ThirstyMud, SuperMud, and YouthMud: REVIEW

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Over the summer, a Sephora associate recommended an array of GlamGlow masks to help me cope with my variety of skin issues (specifically the SuperMud to help get rid of my blackheads). Before then, I've never even heard of the brand but tons of other beauty lovers seemed to be loving their products. After I read the myriad of positive reviews, I decided to give into the band wagon and try them. The only thing that was stopping me was the scary price - $69 for one full sized jar (1.7 oz, which is not a lot for the price).

This year, GlamGlow released Gift Sexy, a limited, online-only value set at Sephora, which included one full sized ThirstyMud mask, 1 oz. of SuperMud, and 1 oz. of YouthMud for $69 (which is the same price of one full sized mask). Even though the price is out of range for me and most beauty lovers, I bought this set during the Sephora VIB 20% off sale and why not get more for the same price?



From left to right: YouthMud, ThirstyMud, and SuperMud


ThirstyMud

What It's Supposed To Do: To provide deep instant, extreme hydration for long, medium, and short term results
How To Use: DAY USE - leave on for 10-20 minutes, then wash off, massage remaining product into skin
NIGHT USE - leave on overnight for intense hydration

Currently, I've been using this mask for about a week now at night. Before now, I've never used an overnight mask, so I wasn't sure of what to expect. The product itself is beige colored with small 'beads' (think exfoliating beads) and has a very creamy, lightweight consistency. 

From many reviews from the Sephora and GlamGlow website and from what those on Instagram have told me, I've been expecting my skin to be beautifully soft skin after using ThristyMud after some time. 

I've "experimented" with this mask by using it with slightly different night time routines. The first few times I've used this, I first apply Neutrogena Alcohol Free Toner, wait for it to dry, and THEN apply an even layer of ThristyMud all over my face and neck. Afterwards, I apply my usual other night time products - eye cream (TheBalm Cranberry Invigorating Eye Cream) and acne medication (Aczone and Tazorac). I leave this concoction of skin care products on my face and head off to bed. When I woke up, I didn't notice a huge difference with my skin; it didn't feel more hydrated than compared to when I used my less expensive counterpart moisturizers.

The next fews I've used ThirstyMud, I changed up my routine. Instead of applying my acne medications, which are notorious for drying out skin, I only applied toner, ThristyMud, and eye cream. After using this slightly different routine, I noticed that my skin is smoother and appears brighter, but I'm upset that I'm not in love with this product after reading so many wonderful reviews.

I'm going to continue to use this mask until I finish it and I would buy it again if it were on sale. Even though I'm not in love with ThirstyMud, it DOES make my skin look and feel better, but I won't be in a rush to drop $69 for another mask just yet.

SuperMud

What It's Supposed To Do: To improve skin clarity, unclog pores, treat common skin problems
How To Use: Apply to clean skin, leave on for 5-10 to dry, wash off with water, can be used on full face or for spot treatment

SuperMud was the GlamGlow mask that I initially wanted to buy because I desperately want to get rid of my blackheads. Before, I've been using Origins Clear Improvement Charcoal Mask and Boscia Pore Strips to help my blackhead issues but I've read that SuperMud was AMAZING and will really clear my skin. I specifically waited for Sephora's VIB 20% off sale to get a full sized GlamGlow mask but I decided to go with the Gift Sexy value set. 

The product is a dark gray color and dries into a lighter gray color. You can see tiny spots where the dirt gets "sucked" up out of your pores. It's pretty cool and lets you know that the product is actually doing something!

Since SuperMud came in a 1 oz. deluxe sample instead of a full sized product, I've been using it as a spot treatment. I apply a thick layer on my nose and the area around my nose (think of a nose pore strip). As I wait for it to harden, I feel mask get tingly. When I wash off the mask, my skin feels very refreshed and my pores look smaller. 

However, I've been using this mask for a week and I'm almost out of product, but I have not seen any huge difference. My blackheads are smaller, yet still very visible. My nose will be smooth and soft after using the mask, but the next day, I can feel the bumps and clogged pores again! I know it's quite impossible to get rid of blackheads COMPLETELY, since our pores will still produce oils and still collect dirt and bacteria. I'm not too upset that SuperMud is not working wonders for what I wanted it to do, but overall, the appearance of my nose looks better than before I started using it. 

Compared to ThirstyMud, I would buy SuperMud first even at the $69 price tag. Due to being a college student on a (somewhat) tight budget (I love cosmetics shopping; it's bad), I'm not going to buy this again right away, but the full sized product is definitely on my shopping list! I believe that if I use this product extremely often (it will probably have to be every day) I will actually start to see a noticeable difference in the amount and severity of my blackheads - but since I can't shell out that kind of money, I guess the blackheads will have to reign and my skin will have to wait.

YouthMud

What It's Supposed To Do: To exfoliate leaving skin softer and more radiant
How To Use:  Apply to clean skin, leave on for 10 to dry, wash off with water


YouthMud is a black mask with tiny micro beads that are used for exfoliation, which also came in a 1 oz sized sample. I don't use this mask as often as SuperMud and ThristyMud since I'm already so attached to my Holy Grail exfoliator, the Mac Volcanic Ash Exfoliator. I've been using YouthMud over a period of time and I'm almost done with the sample size amount from the Gift Sexy set. I'm surprised I actually haven't really seen anything different with my skin - it actually looks and feels the same.

I regularly moisturize, exfoliator once a week or less, and rarely use microdermabrasion and I haven't quite seen my skin look brighter or smoother BECAUSE of the actual YouthMud product. I think I might have to try using this mask by itself for about a week and see what happens, so I'm not quite disappointed but I'm not really loving this either. 

I'm not going to buy YouthMud in its full size, however, Sephora sells this in a sample size for $19.95 and I might snag that instead. If I do choose to use this next time, I hope that I will see a difference in my complexion.

Even with all the rage, I'm disappointed that I'm not absolutely loving what I got with this set. Many others in the beauty community swear by GlamGlow, however, I'm just not one of them. Different weather conditions and changes in schedule and behavior can affect how one's skin is doing and how skincare products, such as face masks with active ingredients work. This just may not be the 'time' for GlamGlow to give my skin amazing results and if the opportunity strikes, I will try again in the future (especially at a lower price!). 


For more updates and information, follow me on Instagram, @shesadaydream

xoxo, Rachel

1 comment

  1. I love these masks so much! I'm in the same boat as you though so I can't invest in a full size just yet lol. But the SuperMud is definitely on my list too! It really helps to clear breakouts

    ReplyDelete

@shesdaydream. Powered by Blogger.
 

About Me

My photo
New York City based beauty blogger, up to date with the latest beauty products and trends by combining my love for writing with my passion for beauty.

Instagram Feed

Archives

Search This Blog

Popular Posts